Wednesday, January 22, 2014

technologie huzzah!

I wrote about the ties that bind several years ago but the ties I knew are changing-
brought about by distance, kids are getting married and moving further apart, by age, by the business of life.
 While I may mourn the changes that mean I won't have 10 kids in the kitchen watching the 11th get a haircut, new methods are sprouting up around me.
 Over New Year's half my kid's went to MO to visit Seth's family, the rest were here and I gained a new appreciation of the words "group text".. If they weren't sending pictures of cousins playing together, we were sending pictures of the great quantities of shrimp we made and in a small way it was like we were all together, transcending the time differences.
 If one grandchild says something cute we all know about it and can comment on it.  I resisted a texting phone for a long time but now I can see one important use for it.  We are using it as a new type of tie to keep our family close. 
Seth has started a brother's Bible study.   Everyone has a book, they read the assignment at home but on a regular basis they have a "group chat" via the internet and they can all talk together while separated by miles.  It does my heart good to see my kids making family relationships a priority and so I will have to start saying "Vive la technologie" .


No comments:

Post a Comment